Sunday, May 20, 2007

Work work work

I got a part-time job!

Thursday night, my friend Joe called and said let's hang out! We ended up at the club for a drink. He works there, bartending and barbacking. As we were visiting, enjoying our beverages, he was also talking with the bartender, who had quit the day before, and was just filling in for someone. Joe suddenly got a flash of inspiration, and had the barkeep hand over the application forms. He said they are rather short-staffed right now because a couple people left, and they were a little desperate for help.

Joe started as a barback and had to work his way up to bartending. I told Joe I had no interest in barbacking, and he said they needed someone on door, too. So, I figured, ehh what the hell. I filled out the application (my masters in engineering coming to good use!), and entered door/bartend in desired position.

Friday afternoon the owner called and we set up an interview for Saturday afternoon. I stopped by, interviewed with Ron (kind of co-manager) and then the owner. They liked me and offered me the job on the spot! He said he still had to put next week's schedule together, but would call me to let me know when I should come in.

Saturday night was the game night. Dave (bit player mentioned previously) was there with his roommate, Vinny. Vinny apparently also works there, and is dating the owner. So, I already know a couple people there! After game night started winding down, a bunch of us all went to the club. Joe was barbacking, and at one point dragged me in the back, and showed me the new work schedule. So, I am on the "security" list for Friday and Saturday, 10pm to close. I do not know at this point what exactly I will be doing. It did sound like they were more interested in putting me on the door (one of the "security" posts) instead of strict security (gay clubs don't really need "bouncers" since there are rarely any fights). The fact that I have a decent day job, and don't Need the money makes me less likely to steal from the till!! The owner also has an engineering degree (from WPI - but I didn't sneer in front of him during the interview...) and a materials QC background, so we had that instant BOND! Too bad I didn't realize at that point that I somewhat even knew his boyfriend.

No comments: