Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bouncer

This was my first weekend on security detail at the club. My intent is to work front door, and maybe eventually bartend. But they start you out on simpler things until they know how well they can trust you. So, I was on back door Friday (making sure nobody sneaks into the club through the smoking patio) and roaming Saturday (keep an eye on the crowd to watch for trouble, drunks, etc.). There was really nothing serious that happened. The most I had to do was wake someone up that fell asleep on the couch. There were no fights, and only a couple sloppy drunks.

Friday night, a group of the Brazilians showed up. Junio and Cris were included. Kevin was there, too, so Junio was friendly but had that look of "sorry, I wish things were different" in his eyes. Cris was dancing with them, and having fun, and was surprised that I was working there. I had forgotten to mention it to them. I told him I'd be there Saturday, as well.

Saturday, a group of the Brazilians showed up, again. Ronny was there this time. He seemed to think the job was too 'boring' for me to do. I kind of missed being able to dance with them, but it was still an interesting way to spend the evening. Brad and Cris came in, and I said Hi, then wandered back to keeping an eye on things. A while later, I wandered into the front bar, and Brad was sitting there with a friend having a drink. I stopped by to chat a little (the roaming guy can do a fair amount of visiting), and Brad was like "why aren't you dancing?" I laughed and pointed to the embroidery on the shirt, and said "I'm on duty." He was surprised. He was not aware I was working there now. I replied that I had told Cris last night. Brad got rather serious, and asked,
"So, Cris was here last night??"
"Uhh, well, yeah." (At that point there was no reason for me to lie.)
"Hmmm, that's funny. Because when I asked him today if he'd been here last night, he said no."
"Ohhhhh, I'm sorry."
"No, no. He lied. Right to my face."
They left, fairly suddenly, shorty thereafter. Ronny came up to me, all concerned, and was like "you TOLD Brad that Cris was here last night? You never tell Brad..."
I explained it was an accident, that I just mentioned that Cris knew I was working already on Friday.
I feel really bad about the whole thing. I mean, I know that I didn't do anything wrong, but I was still the spark that led to another fight. As Brad's friend, I'm concerned about him. As someone quietly harboring feelings for Cris, I must admit there is a little piece of me that would be happy if they broke up. Again, as Brad's friend, if I did hook up with Cris, that would probably blow Brad's mind a little too much to maintain a friendship with me. And, especially now, since I could be viewed as prodding the break-up.
"My life is a drama - with a beginning, a middle, and No End..." - Club 69

No comments: