Saturday, August 11, 2007

Shirtless

Friday afternoon I was doing some laundry (including the work shirts for this weekend), when the club owner called. He wanted to know if I could come in early and cover the front door. I was scheduled for smoking area, which means I start at 10, but to cover register, I need to start about 8:45. I said sure. Then he suggested we make this permanent. My first thought was that they fired the other guy, but I didn't ask. He pulled up my file, and said I was already making what they would pay the doorman, but he said he'd bump me a dollar an hour anyway, effective immediately. So, last Saturday I covered door for the first time, and now that's my permanent assignment.

When I got in to work, I checked the schedule, and I was already down for next weekend, too, including the cabaret show on Sunday afternoon. That was the start of the 'oh shit' feeling. This is turning from spending a few hours getting paid to be at the club instead of dancing, into tying up my weekends.

Covering door was not as much fun this time, since I didn't have a cute guy hanging out chatting with me the whole time. But, I did get to see a lot of cute guys walking toward the straight bar next door! One of which was the SCB, with a bunch of straight guy friends. Apparently, they all went home early, though, because later in the evening SCB showed up at the club, by himself. He was already a little drunk (this is important), and walked in without paying, so I had to hunt him down, drag him back up front, and get the money from him. He was already shirtless by this point. It was the first time I'd seen him there without the (flaming) gay Brazilian friends he hangs out with while there.

Junior also came, by himself. He stopped by to ask if he could borrow my phone. I said sure, it would cost him a kiss. He gave a 'ha-ha' look and used my phone to call his roommate (Cristiano). When he gave the phone back, I asked for my kiss. Unfortunately, he reacted not with a 'ha-ha very funny' look, but with a 'oh God now what do I do' look.

Cristiano showed up a little later. I said hi, and he went off to go dancing. A little while later, one of the bartenders pokes his head around the corner and asks me to keep an eye on the drunk passed out on the couch. It was SCB, in a very sloppy state, and with none of his friends there. Eventually, he started - uh - gurgling a bit, so they got a lot more anxious about getting him off the couch. They ended up with Cristiano and Junior trying to get him up and functioning. (Junior even said to me, "I know him, but he's not a friend of mine". I know that, too. The only other Brazilian there that night was under-21, so I doubt he wanted to get involved in a drunk problem.) Junior had to practically carry the guy out to Cristiano's car. I noticed they didn't bring his shirt. Junior said they were taking him back to their place to clean him up and get him a little more sober. I said "Oh, should I come over later??" I think he got the joke. I don't know how he interpreted it, though.

The bartender insisted they only served him one beer. He really was not that far in the bag when he showed up, but it's not worth arguing about. They were short-handed security last night, so after the lights came on, I was the only one left, so even though front-door does not have cleaning responsibilities, I got them by default. So, I tacked another 15 minutes onto my timecard! And, while sweeping up the dance floor, I found SCB's shirt! So, I took it home! I think it is just beyond amusing that after ogling the shirtless confused Brazilian for all this time, I've ended up with his shirt! I did offer to stop by Junior's last night, and could have returned the shirt to him, but they didn't seem interested in my offer...

No comments: