Friday, August 17, 2007

Prelude

While talking to Angel on Monday, he said Wednesday he was busy, but he would see what he could work out, and would call me Tuesday to let me know when we could meet up. Tuesday, no call. Wednesday, no call. Thursday, still no call. So, I called him. No answer, so I left a message. He has not yet called back. Meanwhile, my A/C went completely dead Tuesday evening, so my place was uncomfortably warm Thursday (we had near 90 and soggy humidity levels). Since Angel wasn’t calling back, I tried Ronny, to see if I could hang out at his place. He worked until 9, so we agreed to meet at his house then.

I beat him home, since he stopped to chat with a friend first. Junior was home, though, so he let me in. Talked with him until Ronny showed up. I had mentioned Monday’s phone conversation with Angel to Ronny, so he asked how things were with the “new boyfriend”. Junior’s ears perked way up. I said one phone conversation hardly makes him a “boyfriend” and Junior heartily agreed. I asked Junior about the SCB, nothing really happened, and Junior doesn’t even know his name. I mentioned I found his shirt on the dancefloor. I reiterated that I had offered to come over that night, but Junior said no. He was like “the guy was too drunk anyway,” so I just said “but I could have given him the shirt back.” He didn’t believe that was my motive. I said I still have it at home, so I’ll have to invite SCB over to my place the next time I see him. Junior seemed suspicious, and asked “for the shirt??” I said of course. Nish had pointed out the tendency for Brazilians to react more strongly to envy, and it seemed to be true here. Junior was suddenly much more engaging with me. The perfect icing on that cake was Ronny saying something about me being interested in Junior, and I got to look at Junior, then turn to Ronny and say “well, he just wants to be friends.” Later, I helped delete a random program from Ronny’s computer, so Junior asked if I could fix his computer’s audio. He had no sound coming through the speakers. First, I noticed the speaker wasn’t plugged in properly (no power, no sound!), but also eventually realized that his hardware was switched to the additional sound card output, but he was still plugging into the main motherboard output. As soon as I moved the plug, everything worked great. When I was heading out to go home, he thanked me for fixing the computer, and gave me a hug. A very full-on, lingering, affectionate hug. And I got invited to their little cookout on Sunday. (I work at 4:45, but the party starts at 2, so I can stop by for a bit.)

At this point, I’m already starting to think it’s over with Angel. I’ve been dumped before even starting on several occasions, and I still don’t understand how one great conversation can be the prelude to complete avoidance, but I’m used to it. I work front door at the club, now, though, so I see everyone. I’m sure I’ll get a “I’m sorry, I was SO busy” at some point. But, usually, many things are postponable if you are truly interested in meeting someone.

And, Friday morning the moron contractors were back, and got the A/C running. I’m still not convinced it’s “fixed” but it is running. A little cleaning and adjusting, and I will be ready to re-list. The Fed just lowered the discount rate (Prime is still steady), which might help spark better housing market activity. Please…

1 comment:

SpanItalGuy said...

The discount rate has nothing to do with and would have little affect on mortgage rates...