Friday, June 10, 2005

That's OK

Ronny needed to change his shirt last night (haircut), and I have one of his shirts in my closet. So, I asked if he wanted to wear that one.
He says, "That's OK."
I ask, "Are you sure?"
"That's OK."
"You don't want to wear this one?"
"That's OK!"
So, I put it back in the closet. Three minutes later, Ronny asks, "Where's the shirt?"
"I thought you didn't want it."
"I said, 'That's OK'."
It dawned on me, he was speaking Literally. So, I laughed, got the shirt, and pointed out that in the US we actually mean "No" when we say "That's OK".
Gets you to thinking about all the other little expressions we take for granted that make life MISERABLE for a non-native speaker. "Get out" versus "go out" comes to mind. Think about it a minute - you only ever say "get out" when you're angry.

Had dinner at 86 Winter with Ronny and Nish. Good food!

My air conditioning is on the fritz. It's running OK now, but yesterday it was DEAD. Boy was it warm in here... I have someone scheduled to come in next week to fix it. This humid humid August weather is SO not fun.

No comments: