Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Graduate

This weekend was my nephew's high school graduation, and I went to Wisconsin for it. Got to see my aunts and uncles, and a couple cousins. It was a very nice trip and I'm glad I went. My mother got all misty again dropping me off at the airport this afternoon.

The flight in was uneventful, and on time. There was one really cute guy on the flight. Totally gay. Cute, great shape, fabulous outfit - Diesel jeans, Guess T, and expensive looking leather sandals. Had a silver wedding band on, so he's already got a husband. Flew Midwest Airlines - wide leather seats, fresh chocolate chip cookies, very comfortable way to fly. Also took like 15 seconds to check in. Service!!

Stopped at Culver's on the way to my sister's place. A midwest institution that you can't find here. Frozen custard and butterburger, check! Saturday was the party - tons and tons of food. Particularly a grape salad that tasted like caramel apples; I got the recipe! My sister's husband bought a new hunting dog that morning - a 7-week-old black lab; SO adorable, even he couldn't insist on keeping the puppy outside. Storms rolled through, so it kept some people away, and made those of there huddle inside or under the tent. The hail and tornadoes did pass us by to the south, though, so we missed the worst of it. My aunt was trying to watch the Belmont Stakes race, but the ABC affiliate was doing emergency weather report for like the entire two hours the storm was raging through the area, so she missed it (they broadcast it later, but it was too late by then). My brother showed up, and his wife proved to everyone there she is a horrible mother; nearly killed the son she actually pays attention to. She gave the daughter (from my brother's first wide) a hug at one point, but was seen making an "ick" face and flicking her hands like they were dirty after she turned around.

Sunday was the ceremony. Drawn out affair with some stupid slide show of "memories" for the graduating class. And the salutatorian speech was all about her most embarrassing moments. Like anybody cared... I told my nephew he was welcome to visit any time he liked. My sister was never informed about the gay thing, and she is total country-mouse to my city-mouse. She hunts, wears camo, shops WalMart and Cabela's, listens to country, and drives a 3/4-ton Chevy pickup. It would be culture shock for my nephew to visit me, but he was very interested in coming. He doesn't know what he wants to do, and it mostly looking for ways to escape his mother's control. My brother came to the ceremony, but about five minutes in, he decided to leave (his wife was about to literally strangle the son, and my sister blew a fuse, so they started heading out the door). He tried to grab his daughter. Since he lost custody last month when he chose to move to Wisconsin, without proper approvals from his ex-wife, or the courts, the daughter was strictly under her grandparents' guardianship, while on this trip with the permission of her mother. So, my brother was not allowed to take her. He blamed my father for "ruining his family". My parents went outside with them to keep the distraction to a minimum for the rest of the gymnasium full of people. They left, in a huff, and were not heard from again. The entire ceremony (150 grads) was white, except for two hispanic families, one interracial, and an asian. The asian kid didn't even have honor cords, though, so they must send the B students to the midwest. You could tell the BMOC right off the bat. He was really cute, too. The photo of him in the tiresome montage was of him wearing just his football pants. Got quite a reaction from the crowd!

Went back to my sister's, and we grilled brats, since the thunderstorms subsided again. They were yummy! Hung out for a while, then played some games, my nephew went off to visit other friends.

Monday I went with my sister to the cheese factory, and bought fresh cheese curds and string cheese. Just made that morning! String cheese that fresh tastes like cream, and pulls into string very nicely. It is SO much better than what you can get at the grocery store. Then we went out for lunch, and I got to have fried cheese curds. Think mozzarella sticks made with chunks of cheddar - SO yummy! On the way back, we drove past a road called Mulletview Drive. Do you see why I left?? Then we had lemon poppyseed cake, and started a bonfire. Made s'mores and "pudgy pies". My nephew grossed out my little niece with slugs and spittle bugs, and grandpa toasted an earthworm over the fire. Nobody actually ate it, though.

On the flight back, there were a bunch of hotties on this flight. I think they were heading to campus. Young looking. One had a gym bag as his carry on that mentioned his high school wrestling team. He was SO cute! There was one cutie closer to my age that was on crutches. Who did I get stuck sitting next to, but some prissy little co-ed. At least she didn't try talking to me. It was 100 degress out when I got back to Massachusetts.

Only three days left of work this week. Hopefully it doesn't all suck too much!

No comments: