Thursday, November 16, 2006

Jobhunt

I was browsing Monster on Monday, and saw a posting for a QC position here in town with Saint-Gobain, a large French multi-national specializing in materials. So, I figured I would submit my resume, and see what happens.
Wednesday, I met up with my friend Joe. We ended up at the gay townie bar to 'have a drink'. While we're there, beginning round two, his friends Luther and Keniah showed up. I've met them before, and know them a little bit. I also kind of like Luther. I get the impression that Luther kind of likes me, as well. At one point this particular evening, he ended up sitting in my lap.
More to the point, I mentioned my loathing of my current employer. Joe joked that I am not leaving Worcester. So, I said I had just submitted a resume to Saint-Gobain. Luther mentioned he was having a meeting the next day with a rep from S-G. He offered to put in a good word for me, if I was any good. I did the 10 second run down of my resume, and Luther got this "oh really" look on his face. He asked if I had submitted a resume to Staples. I hadn't because I was sticking to manufacturing, not retail. He kind of rolled his eyes and said he works for their product development group and works with a whole bunch of QC people. He gave me his email address and told me to send him my resume.
We also exchanged phone numbers, and he invited me to his and Keniah's Christmas party. We'll see which offer proves more fruitful!

No comments: