Monday, September 11, 2006

PT

Ronny and I pent the weekend in Provincetown. It was his first time there. I hadn’t been in a while. I rented a hotel room at a guesthouse pretty much right in the middle of town. Drove up on Friday night; between construction and a rather nasty looking accident, it took 3.5 hours to get there. Had dinner; Ronny didn’t like the food (too dry). Wandered a little bit and called it an early night. Saturday had breakfast; Ronny didn’t like the food (too bland). Did a little shopping, had some ice cream (no, he didn’t), headed to the beach. I didn’t know exactly how to get there, so it took over an hour to get it down. Ronny refused to wait for the bus, which added to the confusion. He was getting kinda grumpy. But we got there, and the weather was beautiful. Sunny, 80, nice breeze, not humid at all. Probably the nicest day we’ve had in a month, and we were at the perfect location to take advantage of it. Went back to town, washed up, went for dinner; Ronny didn’t like the food (various…). Took a nap, then had plans to head to the club. Ronny didn’t want to wake up, so he was grouchy for the next half hour. The place was relatively dead, but the DJ had the treble turned up way too high. Ronny didn’t like the bathrooms, so refused to go there. Between bored, having to use the bathroom, and his ears hurt, and he had a stomach ache from the lousy dinner, he was complaining in full force. I asked if he wanted to go back to the room, and he said we could go if I wanted to leave. We ended up leaving just after last call. We walked a little bit, then went back to the room. He wanted to buy a bottle of water, so we headed back out. I was aiming for the burger shack, but he insisted on heading to a bar. I tried to explain they were all closed, but he seemed to think he could buy water, anyway. I dragged him to the burger shack, and he got water. In the morning, we had breakfast; Ronny didn’t like the food (too spicy). Did a little more shopping, went through the museum at Pilgrim Monument, had more ice cream (not too bad), and headed home. On the way, Russell called to invite us over for dinner, so I said we’d be there in a little while. Rice, salad, veggies, and grilled pork chops; Ronny didn’t like the food (too healthy). I asked him if he had a nice weekend and if he liked P-town. He said oh yes, it was great. He asked if I had fun. I said yes. He asked if I did every minute. I said yes. I think we both glossed over the causes or effects of the complaining.
He has no patience, and doesn’t like it when things progress any differently than his pre-imagined script. I am way more laid-back, so he especially bristles at my lack of apparent concern when things aren’t going as planned. (Regardless of whether I am aware of ‘the’ plan.) I don’t do running commentary on my thought processes as I try to evaluate and correct a situation, so he just boils over as I am working on a solution. Then he perceives his boiling as the force that created my action. It creates a no-win condition for me, but I don’t think to babble until the boiling has exploded. I think we are just not suited for each other. He seems to see it as I am difficult and should feel lucky to have such an understanding boyfriend. Incidentally, I loved the food at every meal.

No comments: