Thursday, September 14, 2006

Not Smart Enough

Ronny and I went to dinner last night. Somehow the conversation drifted to him asking if there were things he did that I didn’t like. I mentioned that I don’t like biting, and it annoys me that every time he smells something foul he accuses me of farting. Both of these are things we’ve discussed, and he hasn’t tried biting in quite some time now. He responds with one or two things about me that are inconsequential, then says that I am not smart enough. He wishes I were more like Brad. This is Not inconsequential. I reiterate in disbelief, “I’m not smart enough for you?!” He says I misunderstood; he didn’t say “for me.” He said I wasn’t smart enough, but he loves me anyway, so he doesn’t care. After some stunned silence, I sort ask for explanation. He often rips on random strangers walking by, and I almost always react with “Ronny, be nice.” He wants me to join in on the jokes. He also thinks I don’t notice things going on around me, like him checking out some guy or another. Brad calls him on it, but I don’t. I explained that I am not the jealous type, so I notice, but I just don’t care. (Brad is quite the jealous type, and I am occasionally asked to be an accomplice in Cris’s cover-ups.)

When we get home, he apologizes “for saying things he shouldn’t say.” He adds that I don’t talk much, so he sometimes talks too much. He asks if I forgive him. I reply, “How can I forgive you for thinking I’m stupid when you still think that I am?” He gets all affectionate and apologizes over and over. He says that he really only meant he doesn’t like that I’m too serious and don’t join in on his joking. He claims random strangers make comments about his appearance, accent, or job, so he comments on strangers to make himself feel better. I said that if someone insults me, it makes me feel bad, so I shouldn’t insult others because I don’t want to make them feel bad. He apologizes some more, and says he didn’t mean like I thought he did; he thinks I am very intelligent, and a very nice person. I said I could forgive him. He wanted me to be all happy and affectionate then. I said it was like banging your knee on the table; I’d need a little more time to feel better. Then he tries to get me to have sex with him, and I wasn’t going along. He was like “come on, I haven’t had any since Sunday!” (He didn’t come over Monday or Tuesday.) I was just not going to accept. He asked why not. I said I wasn’t happy. So, we watched Project Runway instead (the return of Angela! Ahhhhh!). I’ve been suffering general unhappiness lately, so this really didn’t help my mood much. We’ll see what happens.

No comments: