Friday, September 22, 2006

Hearing Aid

For those of you who don't recall, two years ago (almost exactly) I was in a car accident. My little PT Cruiser was totalled. I was making a left turn, saw an on-coming car, stopped. The retiree in the other car drove full speed into my car, despite the red light 20 feet in front of me. According to state law I was automatically at fault because I was making a left, so I filed an appeal. My insurance went up anyway, so I looked it up. The appeal form just starts a process where they schedule you for a hearing. I apparently missed my hearing; but I know for a fact I would not have missed that notice in mail. So, I've been paying about $700/year extra because of the accident on my driving record.

Tonight I got the hearing notice in the mail. TWO YEARS LATER! It's scheduled for late October. Are you kidding me?!?!? Of course, this is organized by the State of Massachusetts, and the hearing is at the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Luckily, they do schedule it for the department in your own area, so it's walking distance, not 3 hours away... I sure hope I qualify for a refund on all those insurance premiums I've been paying.

Assuming, of course, that they believe me when I tell them that it's not my fault the old fart wouldn't stop.

No comments: