Saturday, January 07, 2006

Kong versus the Mass Hole

(For the non-locals: a "Mass-hole" is an obnoxious Massachusetts driver)

Monday, 1/2, was a holiday for us at work, but Ronny didn't have off. I met up with Brad & Cris to go see King Kong. It was kind of a perfect opportunity, since I had wanted to see it, and Ronny had no interest at all in going to that one. The movie was pretty good. Cris had to go right away, so we parted ways at the theater parking lot. As I was heading home, I was heading down the road at around 45 or 50 mph (Not exactly sure). Some dumbass in a mini-van pulled out right in front of me. I SLAMMED on the brakes (and slammed on the horn). I could feel the anti-lock brakes shimmying and the car fishtailed ever so slightly, but stayed on course. Luckily it was sunny, and the pavement was dry, because the mini-van moron wasn't really moving that fast, and I was still gaining ground. I came probably within a foot of hitting the bumper. Doesn't sound so bad, but when you're bookin' along at a fairly good pace, a foot is not that much room.
It is said there is an average of 5 car accidents per day per state in the US. I had one in '04 (which wasn't my fault, but the state of MA screwed me over on it, so I'm paying for it through insurance premiums), so felt it was a little soon for my next one. Luckily, other than leaving a little rubber tread scraped across the road, nothing happened.

No comments: