Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bolo prestigio

Sunday is Ronny's birthday. He told me Monday he wanted a party. I invited some people over. But, I have a horrible track record for getting people to attend parties, so it will probably about 5 or 6 people. Ronny apparently ordered a wedding reception's worth of food... I offered to make the cake. I was thinking something I was familiar with. He followed "OK" with "I want bolo prestigio"! It's a Brazilian recipe. I looked it up online. It's a chocolate cake with coconut filling. They LOVE coconut!! Now, Ronny has told me before that he doesn't like American cakes because they are too dry. The Brazilian cake I've had was basically soggy tasting. Being the baker has given me the insight into how this all works. The cake part is rather dry. The batter has no butter or oil. The only fat content is the eggs. It has water in it. The cakes come out of the oven rather dry. But then you take a can of soda, pour it into a spray bottle, and soak the thing down! Voila! Instant moist. I had little pieces of stuff left over, so made a mini-cake on the side that Ronny got to taste last night. He said it was better than some Brazilian-made versions. (If you know me, you should not be surprised at that.)
Ronny told me the other day that Cris doesn't love Brad as deeply as Brad loves him. Kind of like me and Ronny. (He pointed that out himself!) It lends an odd overtone to my preceptions of Cris. (See the dream sequence below.) Ronny once jokingly suggested we should all have a 4-way some time. Somehow I think that would be a BAD BAD BAD idea... People do notice when you react more favorably to some than others, and feelings get hurt easily. Doing something like that with people you are already friends with can just open all sorts of Pandoran boxes. And we're all going to Disney together!
That trip is this coming Thursday. Wednesday I get to play ill at work all day so I can take two days off as sick time instead of as vacation time! ("Ughhhhhh, I need to feel bedder before the trip tomorrow...")

No comments: